Woodmead : SQL DBA – R30 000 p.m.
One vacancy exists for the position of Microsoft SQL Server DBA (Database
Administrator) Our client requires the services of an aspiring MS SQL Server DBA
to attend to existing SQL server work as well as assist in building the MS SQL
aspect of the business. The successful candidate could potentially be
responsible for the MS SQL DBA department, should sufficient growth be
experienced in that facet of the business.
THE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB ARE:
The most frequent duties for this job are set out below, but the job may include
other or occasional duties and responsibilities:
• Install and configure Microsoft SQL Server (2000 – 2008).
• All facets of SQL database administration including (but not limited to):
o Setup and maintain backup jobs. o Setup and maintain maintenance plans. o
Setup and maintain high-availability technologies e.g. log shipping. o
Performance tuning of SQL server, databases and queries.
o Write required SQL queries. o Assist developers with relevant SQL server
knowledge (database design, SQL tuning and using databases optimally).
o SQL server and database health monitoring.
• Respond to and resolve SQL related support calls at customer sites.
• Respond to and resolve SQL related support calls via remote connection
(desktop and server).
• Assist customers telephonically.
• Remote administration of SQL servers.
• Generate monthly SQL server performance and maintenance reports.
• Identify possible risks or problems actionresolve
• Assist with escalated issues from JuniorIntermediate engineers.
• Assist with projectsdeployments and consulting work.
• At least a Matriculation certificate. .
• Relevant International Microsoft SQL Server DBA qualification.
• MCSE advantageous.
• SharePoint knowledge VERY advantageous.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum 3-years SQL DBA experience.
• Excellent knowledge of Microsoft SQL server deployment, support and
• Working knowledge of Microsoft server operating systems with reference to SQL
• Excellent knowledge of SQL performance monitoring and tuning techniques.
• Excellent knowledge of log shipping and database mirroring.
• Excellent knowledge of SQL security best practices.
• Working knowledge of database recovery and repair.
• Understanding or experience working with a SQL cluster advantageous.
• SQL development knowledge advantageous.
• Experience with remote support applications and techniques (e.g. VPN, RDP and
• Excellent knowledge of server hardware systems such as RAID and the tuning
thereof to maximise SQL server performance.
• Advanced Excel skills (pivot tables etc.) advantageous.
• Good understanding of TCPIP networking is required.
• An analytical thinker that works methodically and always pays attention to
• An individual capable of following set standards and processes.
• A workaholic with a desire to grow quickly in their career.
• A “people” person capable of interacting with different levels of business
• An organised individual that can work unsupervised and effectively manage time
and multiple tasks.
• An individual that always thinks before they act.
• Excellent command of the English language (verbal and written)
• An individual who enjoys studying and improving their knowledge.
• An individual capable of fulfilling multiple roles – technical, pre-sales and
sales (SQL related).
• Ability to follow checklists and procedures accurately and adhere to company
• A self starter that is able to work alone or in a team.
• Ability to work under pressure and remain focussed.
• A well presented individual with excellent communication and inter-personal
• A motivated individual with a passion for technology.
• Ability to identify, assess and solve SQL problems innovatively.
• Must have own transport and the ability to work after hours (on short notice)
• An individual that enjoys completing detailed technical documentation.
• Excellent telephone and e-mail etiquette (for remote support).
• Negotiable dependant on candidate. Approximate CTC of R30k.
• Medical aid (50% paid by company, 50% by employee).
• Petrol paid (company mileage only).
Recruiter : Tumelo